Canteen Lunch in the Alley
1927 // Dusty Rhoades opened a five-stool restaurant called Canteen Lunch in the Alley. It housed only five stools.
1929 // Mr. and Mrs. Bill Carter took over the business and kept it in its same location.
1936 // The Carter's moved the business to its current location at 112 E 2nd St. It houses 17 stools and a U-shape counter in which the famous loose meat sandwiches and home-made pies are served from to this day.
1976 // Bernita Popchuck, Carter's daughter, sold the business to Ernie and Shirlee Macbeth. Ernie was a former teacher and principal, and his wife Shirlee, a former hairdresser.
2015 // The MacBeth's sold the business to Scott and Jan Pierce. Scott grew up in Ottumwa and wants to keep the tradition of the Canteen going for future generations.